Advanced Analysis Ltd
Best Virtual Engineering
Below is a small set of examples from the 400+ projects that AAL have completed to date. Select filter and click on '' for more details:
Development of Python plugins to calculate and include loads from complete engine cycles with all inertia effects and (big | small end) oil film approximations.
- Calculation of high cycle fatigue of connecting rods.
- Identify problem areas with finite life and recommend design modifications.
- Advanced use of in-house dynamic load calculations and oil film modelling.
- Use of ABAQUS, FE-Safe, and complex material definitions.
- Prediction of stress levels at every 1-degree crank angle throughout the engine speed cycle.
Antenna, Radar, Surveillance Systems
NVH, Shock Wave
AAL use ABAQUS to simulate transient shock wave events on critical structural systems to assess their integrity under extreme acceleration loads.
- Asses the integrity of the structure under high (such as 100G) shock wave events.
- Identify problem areas with low stiffness and recommend design modifications.
- Asses the stiffness and configuration of bearings.
- Advanced use of ABAQUS in the time domain allows for fast stress analysis due to shock waves.
- The effects of non-linear assembly preloads are also accounted for in the dynamic transient response.
Engine Loads Software
AAL use MATLAB & SIMULINK to generate complete tailor-made calculation tools.
- Build a specific client tool for complex engine load calculations.
- Build a user friendly graphical interface.
- Advanced use of MATLAB to generate a complete tailor-made calculation tool with a comprehensive graphical interface.
Carbon Fibre Analysis
AAL use ABAQUS and/or OptiStruct (ALTAIR) to optimise composite layups, materials and geometries.
- Develop reliable laminate material properties.
- Improve laminate designs based on layup, ply orientation and materials developed via FEA.
- Guide designers and manufacturers to improve structural performance within cost and manufacturing constraints.
- Advanced use of ABAQUS or ALTAIR tools to gain insights into optimum laminate structural shapes and materials.
Large Systems, Wind Analysis
Flow, Wind Loads
AAL use AcuSolve or ABAQUS/CEL to predict torques and force histories on radar systems under motion and wind loads.
- Predict torque histories on the antenna under different angle and wind scenarios.
- Advanced use of AcuSolve (CFD) in the time domain with moving structures.
- Detailed torque results were obtained for a large set of antenna angles and wind speed conditions.
- CFD predictions help control system designers with realistic torque inputs for worst case conditions.
Cylinder Head Gasket
Thermal, Stress, Sealing
AAL has extensive experience in highly non-linear analysis of complex gasket designs. We have developed throught the years a comprehensive gasket modelling users guide for non-linear analysis.
- Calculation of sealant properties of head gaskets.
- Perform a full non-linear analysis of mechanical and thermal cycle loads, to establish a settled state prior to a low and high cycle stress prediction.
- Advanced use of in-house thermal loads specification, ABAQUS and complex material definitions.
- Identify areas of low gasket pressure.
- Understand the reasons behind poor gasket sealing via identifying weak structural areas in the engine during cold and hot conditions.
Dual Tracking Motion Systems (DTMS)
NVH, Shock Wave
AAL use ABAQUS to simulate non-linear static and dynamics performance of complete (10m diameter) Dual Tracking Motion Systems (DTMS).
- Assess the integrity of critical metal and carbon fibre components.
- Understand non-linear static and dynamic deflections in order to meet integrity and pointing accuracy targets.
- Advanced use of ABAQUS in the time domain (modal superposition and/or non-linear transient) allows for detailed stress analysis due to dynamic loads.
- Show the effects of non-linear assembly preloads in the dynamic transient response.
AAL use MATLAB, SIMULINK, ABAQUS and/or MotionSolve to simulate complex mechanism systems.
- Build a realistic multi-physics mechanism to understand worst load scenarios.
- Identify any relevant non-linear dynamic behaviour.
- MATLAB and SIMULINK to model overall system: power electrics, control system and mechanical components.
- Use of FEA transient solvers for stress prediction in ABAQUS with non-linear contacts, materials and loads.
- Use of MotionSolve for unusual multi-body complex mechanisms.
Stress, Fatigue, Vibration
AAL use Python scripting, ABAQUS and FE-Safe to automate comparisons to vibration measurements for different designs.
- Predict vibration induced durability.
- Develop software to analyse and understand measured vibration data, and correlate to simulation.
- Advanced use of ABAQUS, FE-Safe and in-house Python scripting.
- Analyse and understand measured data in terms of engine orders.
- Gain a deep understanding of the mechanisms of failure including loading, damping and relevant mode shapes of the system.
Automated Shape Optimisation
Vehicle Noise at Driver’s Ear
Fluid Loads, Noise
AAL use AcuSolve, ABAQUS, OptiStruct (Nastran) and In-House software to predict noise levels in large vehicle models.
- Develop methodology to predict vehicle interior noise at driver’s ear from a fuel tank during a deceleration event.
- Correlate with measurements and transfer analysis methodology to the client.
- CFD to calculate fuel loads.
- In-House software to map CFD results to tank structure.
- Transient solvers in ABAQUS with non-linear contacts to calculate load histories.
- Full vehicle noise prediction to 500Hz in OptiStruct (Nastran).
Cylinder Bore Distortion
AAL use Python scripting to automate the bore distortion post processing from FEA results.
- Achieve low bore distortion when the engine is hot.
- Identify cylinder bore out of shape concerns, which may revert into piston-cylinder poor performance.
- Advanced use of ABAQUS and in-house Python scripting to automate the bore distortion post processing.
- Investigate the mechanics of the system to gain a deep understanding of the root causes for the cylinder walls distortion.
Cooling Electronic Systems
AAL use both AcuSolve and ABAQUS to predict thermal and structural performance on circuit boards and electronics assembly systems.
- Predict temperature distributions on component surfaces and in enclosure’s fluid.
- Predict thermal boundary conditions on component surfaces.
- Analysis model may include:
Chipset build-up | Liquid Cooling | Natural convection cooling | Forced convection cooling | Internal and external heat sources.
- Predict transient and steady-state temperatures.
Thermal, Stress, Fatigue
AAL use the tools AcuSolve , ABAQUS and Fe-Safe to predict exhaust manifold coolant boundary conditions, temperature&stress distributions and fatigue life.
- Manifold water jacket flow optimisation.
- Gas side thermal BCs calculation.
- Temperatures, Stress&Fatigue life prediction.
- AcuSolve predicts thermal BCs and allows mapping to Thermo-Mechanical stress analysis.
- ABAQUS predicts transient & steady-state temperature and stress distributions on the manifold.
- Fe-Safe predicts fatigue life based on stress histories from FEA.
AAL use ABAQUS and/or AcuSolve to predict stress, forces and fluid sloshing under non-linear dynamic events such as impact drop tests.
- Predict the effects of fluid-structure coupling on structural deformations and stresses.
- Predict fluid sloshing for highly non-linear dynamic events.
- Guide designers on issues such as an oil pump running ‘dry’.
- Advanced use of ABAQUS & AcuSolve (CFD) in the time domain with moving structures. Analysis models include coupling fluid-structure via explicit solvers.
- Study highly non-linear responses on both the structure and the fluid to guide designers.
Coolant CFD Analysis
AAL use the tools AcuSolve and Converge to predict coolant steady-state or transient and in-cylinder transient flow.
- Water jacket flow optimisation, and export of data for thermal analyses.
- Under-hood and external air flows.
- In-cylinder transient flow with moving boundaries (piston, valves).
- Advanced use of AcuSolve and Converge CFD packages depending on the application.
- Investigate the system to gain a deep understanding and allow for design recommendation to improve flow and minimise fluid path losses.
Highly Non-Linear Analysis
AAL use ABAQUS to predict stress, forces and sealing properties for highly non-linear assembly processes.
- Develop reliable simulation methods to represent complex assembly procedures.
- Implement non-linear materials and boundary conditions, such as complex contact interactions.
- Advanced use of ABAQUS to gain insights into optimum mechanical assembly procedures and highly non-linear materials.
- Assess stress levels and durability.